Japanese Calligraphy for Beginners - Evening class
6pm - 7:30pm
Japanese Calligraphy for Beginners
Morning and evening classes available!
Japanese calligraphy, known as "Shodo", is the one of the oldest surviving traditional Japanese artforms. Emerging in Japan in the 4th Century, the art of writing Kanji (Chinese characters) creates beauty through the careful use of space and character formation.
While focusing on the formation of the individual brush strokes in each Kanji, Shodo teaches deep concentration and mindfulness. By practicing Shodo students can achieve improved focus and mental health, while also learning the history and meaning behind each Kanji.
In this introductory session, you will:
- Learn the origins of Kanji and how they are used in Japanese writing
- Experience and use the essential traditional tools of Shodo. Each attendee will have access to a separate Shodo traditional brush and ink set to use for the session.
- Practice the technique for forming individual brush strokes
- Create your own handcrafted work
All required course materials are provided for use during the session. These are of a high quality and have been imported directly from specialist suppliers in Japan:
- Shodo brushes
- Specialist Japanese ink (known as "Sumi") and inkwell
- Fine calligraphy paper
Naoko was born in Fukuoka, Japan and has practiced Shodo since she was 5 years old. Naoko is a qualified Shodo master and her approach to Shodo emphasises the beauty of traditional techniques while focusing on the benefits of Shodo to improve concentration and promote mindfulness in everyday life. Naoko calls this practice "Healing Shodo".
Naoko is passionate about teaching all aspects of Japanese culture and since moving to Guernsey in 2009 alongside teaching Shodo has also taught several courses of Japanese language and culture, while also organising Guernsey's first Japanese Culture Festival.
- T: 01481 721375
- E: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Iris & Dora Ruette Braye St Peter Port Guernsey GY1 1PL