Launch of the Island Games Cultural Programme
Guernsey Arts is pleased to be working with the Island Games Committee to create a Cultural Programme of engagement to run alongside the Island Games. Each project is open for all Islanders of competing Islands to submit entries. Through the projects we will be building a collaborative insight across our Islands, developing cultural diplomacy and creating a cultural legacy of our creative communities.
The Pocket Island Poetry Open asks for entries of written poetry to reflect on “A View of my Island”. Areas for reflection from poets could include concentrating on the beauty of their Island and its environments, social or political commentary, historic events and figures, or how their Island is special to them.
Chosen poems from each Island will be included in the “Pocket Island Poetry” book, to be available as a printed booklet within Guernsey for those attending the various Island Games events, showcased digitally during sports events utilising display screens at the venues, and as a digital resource to be shared with the Islands taking part.
- Entries are welcomed in all languages with an English translation – Island languages are encouraged
- Entries can be in any style of poetry
- Entries are limited to 24 lines and 240 words
- Entries will be judged by a panel of individuals based within Guernsey
- A minimum of one chosen poem from each Island with entries submitted will be included in the “Pocket Island Poetry” booklet
- Highly commended poems will be showcased digitally across the Island in between coverage of the sports events
Jade Kershaw, Community Arts Development Officer says:
“We’re really excited to be leading the cultural programme between participating Islands. We hope that we’ll be able to build strong relationships across cultural organisations in all competing Islands, as well as creating a valuable insight and resource in how we view our Islands.”
This is the first project of its type to run alongside the Island Games, connecting creative organisations across the competing Islands. An aim is that these organisations will continue to come together to further develop a creative islands network, working together on building relationships as a legacy of the Island Games.
Online entries for the Pocket Island Poetry are now open until 30th April 2023 - click here for the online entry form or email Jade@arts.gg if you have any problems.